Friday, December 4, 2015

JOHN DUNNING'S STAGES OF INVESTMENT

John Dunning of Reading University was a friend, assessor and mentor; he helped me attain decent standards when I was professor of economics in the University of the South Pacific between 1973 and 1976. He had a theory of stages in foreign investment; in this column from Business World of 15 January 2004, I speculated on the stage India had reached.


Where is India on the path?


While I was a student in the 1958, John Dunning had come out with his path-breaking book, American Investment in British Manufacturing Industry. It was timely –very useful reading for my Tripos examination. But my interest in British investment did not extend much beyond the examination; I moved on to nineteenth-century German wages, livestock geography, technology transfer and such diverse subjects.
When I went to teach economics in Fiji and Dunning was appointed assessor, the name rang a bell. But it was quite a pleasant surprise when he actually came over. He was a handsome man – he had a long austere face with a gentle smile. He was mild and polite in the English fashion; but he managed to convey his views very clearly nevertheless. I remember having given a couple of students firsts; he said the difference between firsts and two-ones was not clear. The implication was clear: that the standards were not set firmly enough. Fiji was a small place, and the University of the South Pacific (USP) was not the last word in scholarship. Some of its students might go abroad; universities elsewhere would want to know how good the standards at the USP were. If they were comparable to those of universities in Australia or Britain, the students might be admitted without further scrutiny. I then pulled up my socks and raised standards.
I was keen to get John to meet my students. Pacific students had a terrible reputation for getting drunk. But I felt that I had inculcated some sense of sobriety in them; I wanted to prove that they were as good as students anywhere else. So I organized a party in the students’ club, with beer and scotch.
The party went just fine the first year. Next year, the student I had placed in charge of the bar was a footballer; without telling me, he admitted the entire football team in. They gathered around the bar and started swigging. The beer disappeared alarmingly fast. Then, in their collegial way, they started a fight.
I was appalled. I went up to Sitiveni, my barman, and told him to get them out. I did not think he could do it, for it was him against a dozen. But he went into action, beat up all of them and threw them out. The operation was quick, but not entirely quiet; I kept hoping John would not notice. He may have, but being an Englishman he never raised an eyelid.
I moved from Fiji to Sussex to Trivandrum to Delhi to Ottawa; I kept changing subjects every two years. But John Dunning kept working on foreign investment year after year; although he is now in his seventies, he continues to churn out papers. My days of flitting across places are over. Now as a journalist I flit across subjects: I try to write about something new every time. So I cannot say I have kept up with John. But what I know is fascinating.
He has developed what he calls an eclectic theory of foreign investment. Multinational enterprises invest abroad for three reasons. First, they try to capture ownership-specific advantages (O): for instance, patent rights, processes, and other strengths not available to competitors. Second, they exploit locational advantages (L): for instance, presence of natural resources, or cheap labour, or cheap inputs. Finally, they exploit internalization advantages (I), which arise because some assets are better owned or employed by the firm instead of being bought from the market: for instance, a management structure, or an R&D outfit.
From these building blocks he has developed a theory of the investment development path. Countries go through through five stages. The poorest countries, in the first stage, have nothing to attract foreign investment other than their L-advantage – location of natural resources. As they get richer, a domestic market develops; it acts, or can be used as, a magnet to attract foreign investment from multinational enterprises with O-advantages. Eventually, domestic firms emerge that can exploit the domestic market just as well as foreign firms, and start using their O-advantages to invest abroad. In the fourth stage, outward investment comes to exceed inward investment. In the last stage, reached by the countries with highest incomes, inward as well as outward investment is substantial and the balance fluctuates. Where does India fit on this path? In the 1970s, India was just emerging from the first stage. In the 30 years since, it has crossed the second stage and is entering the third.
John Dunning is a great networker. His work has absorbed advances as others made them; and he has influenced many. Some of his friends, admirers and followers are getting together, under the aegis of Lancaster University Management School, at India International Centre on the morning of Saturday, the 17th January, to celebrate his work. A lively tradition of research has grown up around him; long may he continue to lead it.